Tuesday, April 20, 2010

An article I read about Chinese slang phrases prompted me to think about the nuances that come in any form of language, regardless of how "coarse" the language may be perceived. These nuances are what bring the "human" element to language. As opposed to using every word in a denotative manner, slang attributes meanings that are more personal and make language more accessible to a group of people. I remember how in class we discussed how the groups as small as a neighborhood were considered to be developing their own form of a language because they can create terms or phrases that are localized and thus create their own vernacular.

It's also funny because I personally would not see the English translations of the example slang phrases provided by the article as particularly provincial or vulgar. In fact, they seemed almost poetic to me with many of them employing metaphors or analogies that are symbolic of what they mean. At the same time, I know that I cannot count on the English translation to know the exact meaning that is conveyed. The context of culture provides more impetus for determining whether certain phrases are slang or not.

However, I definitely think slang is an important aspect to examine in a language. I believe more so than formal language it can reveal the values of a culture. These are the phrases that people are using in private conversations where they are not trying to censor themselves. Thus, slang phrases contain a lot of raw meaning that cannot be taken for granted. I wonder if it would be appropriate for language classes to incorporate slang into their curriculum. I think it could allow students to feel closer to a language and see more clearly the relationship between a language and its speakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment