Wednesday, April 28, 2010

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (2) Now
the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the
deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. (3) And God
said, "Let there be light," and there was light. (4) God saw that the
light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. (5) God
called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there
was evening, and there was morning-the first day.

Translation to Spanish:

Al principio Dios creó los cielos y la tierra. Ahora la tierra no tenia forma y vacía, la oscuridad fue sobre la superficie de las profundidades, y el espíritu de Dios estaba volando sobre el agua. Y Dios dijo, “Sea la luz,” y hubo luz. Dios vio que la luz fue buena y separó la luz de la oscuridad. Dios se llamó la luz el “día,” and la oscuridad se llamó la “noche.” Y hubo la tarde, y hubo la mañana-el primer día.

It was difficult for me to translate the passage because Spanish is not a language that I grew up with or that I know comprehensively. Thus, there were moments in which I did not know if I was representing the passage accurately in my translation. It felt especially artificial for me when I had to consult a Spanish-English dictionary. Words like "hover" and "formless" were especially difficult for me to translate. I did not know how I should convey them because I did not know words in Spanish that could serve as direct translations. Then again I would not know if that would be the right approach to translating this passage. With regards to grammatical gender, I thought it was interesting how each word was classified. For instance, in my mind, I would think that heaven would be characterized as feminine and the earth would be characterized as masculine. I don't know if this is due to my own personal conceptions of the two or due to the society in which I live and how it chooses to associate certain traits with certain genders. It makes me wonder if languages that do not necessarily have grammatical gender rely on other elements when deciding how to categorize something other than those that are innately in the language one speaks.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder what kind of mistakes native speakers make in their translations versus Spanish speakers who learned the language in schools. Do they make mistakes in the same domain (ie gender agreement) or in different areas?

    ReplyDelete